Tuesday 28 April 2009

Film review: Lock, Stock and 2 smoking comic movies

As Dr G was out last night, and I keep getting told to sit down, I indulged in my favour pastime of watching several films at once, in this case:


The last two are decidedly pants. Spidey inexplicably jive walking and then breaking into a very suspect dance routine about 2/3 of the way through did it for me. Halle Berrie's crap super power (weather!) never fails to make me snort with derision. But as I had control of the remote for a change, I simply hopped to another channel whenever I got bored.

I do this when I can't be bothered to think. It's the film watching equivalent of finger food - hop from plate to plate and back again. If you get lucky, you'll hop at the right time and see the significant parts so you can follow the stories.

It helps that I've seen 'Lock, Stock' loads of times. I do love a good caper movie and despite Guy Ritchie's inability to make another decent film (unlike his producer, Matthew Vaughn) this is definitely a good caper movie. I like this film, it doesn't quite make my top 5 but it's def worth revisiting from time to time, for the soundtrack and entirely quotable script if nothing else: 'It's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the f*cking century....'.

I remember bumping into an old mate who had worked on it. She hated every minute of it, it was an end-to-end lads' party much like you see on screen, and only came together in the edit apparently. She claimed it drove her out of the film business into alternative therapies, but then you have to take film gossip with a pinch of salt.

If you haven't seen it, then Matthew Vaughn's 'Layer Cake' is good too, def Daniel Craig's calling card for Bond. It got slated but the only thing I can see wrong with it is Michael Gambon and his dodgy tan.

Lucy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your film review, but for when you eventually get back to these pages: we've just popped over from The Daily(ish) Millbrook to say congratulations and wish you and Charlie all the best. Well done!
Dozybean, YarMatt and Intoeverythingsworth. xxx