Thursday 25 September 2008

A bit of reformation? Yes, please!

It sounds like the monarchy might finally be getting with the programme after all:

1) Catholics will now be monarchs, a law that's been in place 300 years and by now, who cares which brand of God they go for? Not me, baby.

2) MUCH MORE IMPORTANT: the first-born will inherit the crown, whatever their sex.

This is the one that made me go 'oh' out loud. Always a good thing to do in a quiet hotel breakfast room, everyone looks at you surreptitiously but will never ask why you just made an inappropriate noise. Which is good, I'm a grumpy cow in the mornings.

Digressions aside, it's about time. QE II only got the crown because there were no boy children. And she's been doing it for nearly 60 years so women can't be that bad at it. I don't plan to debate whether we need a monarchy at this point, I'd be here for too long and I have to work.

It is good to see is a lumbering, ancient institution finally starting to move with the post-millennial times.

BTW, the good Dr G suggested I rant about this article. Trouble is, if I start on this kinda road (and let's face it, it's an issue very close to my heart), I'll never stop, my head will spin round and round until it explodes in a shower of frustration-fuelled sparks. Don't really have the time to find my brain from under the printer and re-install it today.

Yours in reformation mode,
Lucy

No comments: