Monday 22 September 2008

Lidl article: she didn't like the place, the people, the food...

Lidl is by far my favourite supermarket. I like it because of the lack of choice, the fact they don't bother to unpack stuff out of boxes, the lack of stupid telly screens screaming at you, the cheap booze - I could go on and on but you'd nod off. Suffice to say, me and Lidl have had a 5 year love affair, to the point where we started calling 'Ly-Del, the german deli' in my house, such was my deep love for the place.

So then along comes this daft bitch, writing in yesterday's Observer, bleating on in a middle class way about how much she hates it. They don't have baskets! You can't take a shopping list! The shoppers are poor! The checkouts are awkward! Ohmygod, what HAS this world come to when the supermarket doesn't wipe your very ar*se for you. Stupid cow.

Now I appreciate that it's a discount supermarket, which means - shouting for the hard of thinking - NO FRILLS. Lots of cheap food but NO FRILLS.

No you can't choose from 15 brands of the same thing, you get what they've got, bloody cheap. No they don't unpack products from their huge boxes, you do that when you buy something and it saves you money. No they may not have what you want, but they are sure to have one of everything you might need. And some great 'middle aisle' stuff into the bargain (kids shoes, clothes, kitchen equipment, garden stuff, euro type things you can normally only get on holiday...). I won't bang on about the prosecco or the bordeaux rose because frankly I don't want anyone else knowing about them. But anywhere that sells prosecco in handy handbag sized cans gets my vote any day.

Eva Wiseman, I'm glad you don't like Lidl. If you don't like my supermarket, my food and my people, then get the hell out of it. Our lives will be so much richer for the fact that you won't ever be there when we go.

Yours off to worship at the alter,
Lucy

No comments: